Wednesday, May 31, 2006

what's not supposed to be


having only daughters
my father taught me how to hunt
me being at eight, the eldest.

he sat me down in the green woods
and handed me the shotgun. he said
"look for what is not supposed to be there
that is where you will find what to aim for."

so i looked for what was not supposed to be
and saw what was there

and i laid down my gun and walked away.

now, so many years later
i looked for what was not supposed to be
and saw what was there

i laid down my heart
and you walked away.





this was in last month's FOUR VOLTS

http://www.fourvolts.co.uk


since the new issue is up, i thought i'd post my poem
on my blog now. i hope you will like it.
it's a favorite of mine. s

3 comments:

QUASAR9 said...

That's not for Al Gore is it? Thought you your eyes on him from BGs place, or was it his words held you enthralled the other day?
Love the poem. Laters ... Q

Sherry Pasquarello said...

al gore has a wonderful compassion and passion about him. i wish he would have shown it while he was running for president. i think he can do good things if they don't "swiftboat" him. i admire him, big time!

QUASAR9 said...

Never quite understood why he didn't make a stronger bid. Almost like he expected Bush to win, and yet the race was almost a tie.