Friday, April 13, 2007

4 of my older poems. i clicked around here and found them for poetry month:




i can not go there


i can not imagine myself as a man
with a man's lines and angles
larger bones and rough hands
narrowed hips walking a man's stride
owning the ground

i can not go there that alien land of
bigger shadows and deeper voices
even in dreams of power and easy laughter

i can not look at a woman
the way you look at me
with a quickened pulse and heated strength
grown between muscled thighs

oh but i can fuck you like a man
not with hardness but with intensity
and fierce purpose, a dominant female
with warm mouth and opened legs

i can imagine myself a woman
with a woman's curves and hollows
small bones and soft hands
round hips walking a woman's stride
owning a man.









sparrow

i've seen angels smile as
scabby junkies shared a
blood stained needle
and huddled close, seeking heaven.
watched and written pretty words
as devils danced in delight
outside a hospital room while
sacred words in mumbled monotone
sped a soul to heaven.
saw christ in a drunk's
sloppy grin and found buddha's calm
in the bottom of a shot glass.
it's been written that
god sees the sparrow fall,
but does he look for me?

hey god, do you look and
smile at me,
trying to find heaven.








2 halves = 1 whole


you were big
your bigness
surprised me.
i saw it on my face
making an O
in your eyes
surprised

then you became
me and i
became you as
we came
together.

you were gentle
your gentleness
soothed me.
i saw it in your face
making you LOOK
and my eyes
misted

then i became
you and me
and you grew in
my womb
like a child kicking

and i loved you
because it was like
giving birth
to myself.






when blind might be kinder

it's easier not to see.
when eyes are closed
the creek that runs yellow
bubbles soft and clear

the sulfur from the long gone mine
is blue and bright with eyes shut tight,
blind can be kinder.

the jumble of jagger bushes and matted weeds
that choke the hillside and threaten the unused tracks
where coal cars rumbled paychecks through the night
smell green and sweet when blind is kind.

and memories are better
with eyes shut tight.

No comments: