Thursday, July 05, 2007

at the a & p




last night i went to the old a & p to grocery shop
tho it was gutted years ago
and made new into a medical arts building

the same building where i now go
to be poked and prodded and told
things i'd rather not hear

wishing instead to still buy
apples and spice cake with raisins.

i took your car
a big black car tho
it scares me to drive it
and i shake trying to park.

last night i was outside of the old a & p
and the lot was full of big black cars
a dealership worth
but none yours.

panic lay in my stomach
like a wormy apple
or spice cake with juicy beetles
speckled thru like plump raisins.

i was at the old a & p
with no way home because i forgot to lock the door
or maybe you had a set of keys
and i had spice cake lodged in my throat.






this is the one i just work shopped.
my thanks to all of the ones that helped.
i think their input made it a much better piece. sherry

2 comments:

LSqrd said...

well done.
Tho I'm not one to judge.

Sherry Pasquarello said...

thanks.

yes you are one to judge. i write for people, not just other poets.
of course i am well pleased when a poem is commented on in a good way by other poets but i want people to enjoy my poems and writings.
that has always been my aim.

so please, do comment.
i ask everyone to.

thanks again. : )