Thursday, September 04, 2008

Obama: Treat Palin Like One of the Guys


By Liza Porteus Viana
Sep 4th 2008 3:55PM



Filed Under:eBarack Obama, John McCain, Breaking News, 2008 President, Conventions, Sarah Palin





Sarah Palin should be treated like anybody else running for office, Barack Obama said today. And that means not treating her with kid - or, in this case, woman - gloves.

When questioned by reporters during a campaign stop in York, PA, Obama pushed back against criticisms that his campaign and the media are downplaying the political experience of John McCain's vice presidential running mate. The McCain campaign, some women's groups, as well as former staffers to Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign, argue that much of the treatment of Palin is sexist, and that many questions and issued being raised would never surface if she were male.

"Listen - if they want to work the refs, they are free to do so and I think the public can make their judgments about this," Obama said today, shrugging off the sexist accusations.

The notion, he added, that any questions or doubts floated about the work Palin has done as a mayor and governor in Alaska is somehow not relevant to her ability to handle the vice presidency, "doesn't make too much sense to me."

"I think she's got a compelling story but I assume she wants to be treated the same way that guys want to be treated – that means that the records are under scrutiny. I've been through this for 19 months – she's been through it what? Four days so far?"Obama also responded to Palin's convention remarks that essentially tried to devalue his work as a community organizer in Chicago.

"I would argue that work done in the community ... that that's relevant only in understanding where I'm coming from, who I believe in, who I'm fighting for, and why I'm in that race," the Illinois senator said. "The question I have for them is, 'why would that kind of work be ridiculous?' Who are they fighting for? Who are they advocating for?"

Obama said he was well-prepared for the attacks lobbed against him and his running mate, Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., during this week's Republican convention, saying: "I've been called worse on the basketball court. It's not that big a deal."

The Republicans are so vehemently attacking him, Obama said, because they don't have their own ideas or agenda.

"What do you guys expect? I anticipated this last Thursday in my acceptance speech. This is what they do – they don't have an agenda to run on – they haven't offered a single concrete idea in two nights ... to make the lives of middle class Americans better.

"They can use their convention time any way they want. "

Obama also said the pick of Palin as McCain's running mate doesn't change his strategy or focus heading into November's general election. His focus is McCain, not Palin. (But maybe Biden should focus a little bit more on Palin - he referred to her this morning as a "lieutenant governor of Alaska.")

"I'm running for president - I'm running against John McCain. As far as I can tell, I don't get a sense Governor Palin has ideas that are different than John McCain's. That speech that she delivered was on behalf of John McCain."

"I think, ultimately, this race is gonna be about myself and John McCain, and who's in a better position to lead the country."



( me- i agree. )

No comments: