Wednesday, October 08, 2008













Oct 8th 2008
By Anthony Layser
EntertainmentPoliticsNews

GOP-skewering cartoonist Berkeley Breathed plans to pen one last "Opus" comic strip for syndication on Nov. 2 before calling it quits.

The Pulitzer Prize-winning creator of "Bloom County" is timing the move to coincide with the presidential election. In trademark form, Breathed announced, "I'm suspending my comic strip to assist the nation. The best way I can help is to leave politics permanently ... I call on John McCain to join me."

The Sunday-only "Opus" will end its run with the bowtied penguin protagonist being shipped to the Guantanamo Bay detention center. Meanwhile, 51-year-old Breathed, who made his name in the '80s satirizing Reagan-era politics with "Bloom County," plans to retire from cartooning. It will be his second retirement -- the first came in 1995. He returned to the funny pages in 2003 to lampoon the second Bush administration with "Opus."

Though we wish Breathed the best, Asylum has already begun planning for Opus' prison break with the help of Mark Trail and Cathy.

With all his new free time, maybe Berkeley Breathed will practice some business card origami.






i hope it's not true!!!! i love opus!

1 comment:

Vundakin said...

Iʼm going to miss Opus to. Itʼs been one of my favorite Sunday strips over the past 5 years. Thank goodness I still have my PublicWorksComics: www.PublicWorksComics.com or Iʼd be even more depressed!