Wednesday, July 01, 2009

i saw in the paper this morning that my aunt had died. she was 94 and had been in a facility for alzheimer patients for years, as had her sister before her.neither knew anyone for years.

she was my uncle's wife. they had no children and were totally devoted to each other.
my uncle has been dead for quite a few years now. he was a quiet soul. my aunt tho a tiny woman was the head of their marriage and that was a good thing in many ways.

my uncle never made much money. he worked in the mill and when he retired he worked as a bartender for a social club, yet he managed to put away a fairly large sum for the care of my aunt because he knew that she had this awful disease. he, more than anyone saw the first signs.

he suffered from a lot of illnesses himself but he carried on with dignity.

some people get angry and quite hard to deal with as alzheimer progresses. my aunt was one of those. i was sad to see the changes in her attitude and personality.

my friend marty's mom on the other hand just got sweeter as the disease took it's toll.

my uncle always treated my aunt with love. even when it was hard to do.
i think he is very glad to be reunited with her and she with him. i believe that they are together, somewhere in some form, happy.

No comments: