Monday, June 12, 2006

this is from my daily OM, i thought i's share it. s


June 12, 2006


Integrating Our Many Selves Sum Of Our PartsHuman beings are multidimensional creatures. Our identity is made up of the sum total of our many traits and values and our character. Each of us possesses within us many different selves.
There is the adult part of ourselves and the childlike spirit that resides in each one of us. There is our masculine side and our feminine side.
There is the hard worker in us, the artist, the parent, and the caretaker.
All of these selves combined form a well-rounded, complex person. Not all of these different aspects of who we are blend easily with each other, however, and some of them may even conflict with or oppose one another.
When a person's different parts clash, such as the self that is our childlike aspect and the self that is our responsible adult, we often end up compartmentalizing or suppressing one of these aspects to ease the conflict. While this may make us feel better in the short run, we would be better off finding a way for these two selves to coexist peacefully inside u!
Though some of our selves may be dominant while others rarely assert themselves, attempts to suppress one or more of these different aspects can leave us feeling that our identity has been splintered. Being able to successfully integrate our various selves can be as simple as accepting and embracing each one.
It may also be necessary to reframe the way you see them. The immature self that you ridicule can become a valued and accepted part of you when redefined as your more playful aspect. Journaling can help you acknowledge and understand the different parts that make up your identity.When your many selves blend together to form an integrated individual, you will feel changed. You will no longer feel pulled in multiple directions, and you will never again have to deny any part of yourself. You become a complete person-familiar and comfortable with the many selves that make up the person you are.

8 comments:

QUASAR9 said...

Yep, nicely put sherry.
We cannot be all things to all people, that is why sometimes at work, career, beliefs, sport, people choose to be one thing to the point of 'radical'

However, sounds like you've learnt to be an all round person, how does that song go "I'm a mother, I'm a lover ..."

an adoring grandmother, a good friend to many, a smiler to strangers, a poet, a cook, hmm ... I can almost smell your cooking.

Laters ... Q

Sherry Pasquarello said...

thank you. i've written before that i've been labeled many things in my life and i've spent a life time finding the me in amongst all of them. parents do harm at times by "telling" their kids from an early age what they are, who they should be when the are grown up someday.teachers tell you, doctors tell you, you are this disease, that survivor, a statistic. society has it's say as well.
so, now i am (hopefully)those things you've written and more because i choose to be them and they fulfill me.thanks.

QUASAR9 said...

I haven't seen you in action with my eyes, but that faerie lighting up the flowers you posted the other days is how I imagine you.

ohh, and lets not forget, those suggestive provocative erotica poems, and the little goading 'devilish' comments at BGs place too. These are only the ones I see, I wonder how many other places you flutter in and light up or even lighten up. lol!

Have a nice day! - Q (Jon Quinn)

Sherry Pasquarello said...

hi,i am just who i am. i am learning to be comfortable in my own skin.
my poetry is the way it is as well.we've had many discussions in my workgroup about a poet's work and how much it reflects the author's self. even tho many poems have noting to do with the poet's everyday life, there is always a bit of us in there. one of the first poems i submitted to the PK'rs delt with anorexia. it's on the blog. i got quite a few e-mails, bc, asking after my health. i reassured them that i wasn't anorexic, thanked them for their concern and felt it was high praise that they thought that i must BE anorexic to have written about it that well.
i comment on a few political blogs and a few lit ones from friends in my workgroup. BG's blog is fun to comment on. she's bright and bold and self assured.
i've survived a lot in my life, tho i am always aware that there are so many that have it far worse.
when i was 46 i was diagnosed with a genetic disease. so now, i try to just work on myself and on trying to be the best "me" that i can be, all of me, myself, odd as i am, it suits. thanks. : )

QUASAR9 said...

Yep, some people have that ability with words, poems & song.

QUASAR9 said...

PS - I forgot to ask you about the two pictures below, the mountain & the lake or river, is that near you. I had MTA visit my blog and turns out he &his wife have got a blog about exploring Quabbin, Mass not that distant far from you?

Sherry Pasquarello said...

oh, those are pictures that my daughter and her husband took in china last year. the mountain, if i remember correctly is called the helan mountain. helan is mongolian for horse or steed. my granddaughter is from southern china. she is "chinese minority" as it is called and part mongolian as well. i say she is our little khan. the river, i'm not sure?

i am quite a way from mass. : )

QUASAR9 said...

Love it. When I went to my cousins wedding met this chap, traveller, jeweller, earning his daily bread on the fishing boats with the locals. Turns out he was a khan too. not surprising though considering he is reputed to have had athousand wives. lol!

One of those people, who you do not need to swap numbers with, you just know your 'paths' will cross again down the road, or on another journey. Laters ... Q