Saturday, May 26, 2007

a little story about my father:


my dad was a BIG john wayne fan. he had tons of his movies
on vhs and recently, dvd.
he thought he was the greatest actor EVER.
( yes, i know) ; )

once when i stopped at my parent's he was getting ready to watch john wayne in
"gengis kahn" (oh lordy, if you've never had the experience, i say, "watch it, at least once, preferable with good friends and a few drinks!!!")

he wanted me to watch it with him. i did.
i chewed a tiny hole in my cheek trying hard not to laugh because i
didn't want to hurt his feelings by laughing as i watched it.

i did a grand job of it too.
almost lost it tho when my dad said "see, i told you he was the greatest. he can even be so real in this movie!"


i didn't realize until after we were done making the funeral arrangements that today
would have been john wayne's 100th birthday.

the duke has just met his biggest fan.

5 comments:

QuakerDave said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours, Sherry.

Holding you in the Light.

Fran / Blue Gal said...

QD let me know. I'm travelling but wanted you to know you and your family are in my prayers, too.

Sherry Pasquarello said...

thanks to you both.
my father's in a much better place. no one should have to suffer thru what he did toward the end.
we are at peace with his going.

we are asking that instead of flowers, people make a small donation to the disabled american vets. my father would like that, i'm sure.

take care, be well. bg, hope your travels are neat and fun.

i am lucky to have such wonderful blogging friends! : )

LSqrd said...

Sorry to hear of your loss, Sherry. Your Dad will always be with you in your heart and mind. I still think of my dad all the time, though he's been gone 15+ years. Cheresh the memories.

Thanks for the John Wayne story, it's a great one!

Sherry Pasquarello said...

thanks lsqrd. if you've never seen the movie rent it.

it just is too much.
john wayne was john wayne in every role he ever played and this is no exception.