Friday, December 08, 2006

a remembrance of a special friend:

so many of us will be missing people this holiday season.
family and friends no longer with us. i have many. for
some reason, one lady in particular has been in my thoughts.
perhaps it is because she enjoyed this season so much.

ms. adele marsico was my mother's friend and through her,
mine as well. i was lucky. she was one of the nicest and bravest people
i have ever been privileged to call "friend".

adele was a nurse who worked with dr. jonas salk and was
one of THE 1st.
to volunteer to test the salk polio vaccine even tho
as a nurse she knew
quite well the dangers she was facing,
anything from leg braces to an iron lung or death.

she used to call me her "little china doll" because
i was a lot smaller than her
and once had my dark hair cut cut in a bob with bangs.
she never got to meet my little granddaughter and maybe
that is a part of my thinking about ms. marsico now, as well.
my little granddaughter IS a true little china doll and i know
adele would have loved her.

happy holidays ms. marsico. i miss you. i wish i could
bring you a plate of christmas cookies and see
you laugh and smile as you held my little china doll. s

No comments: