Wednesday, May 03, 2006

well, i just planted the rosebush that my friends gave me.
i hope that it makes it. my beautiful white one
didn't survive the winter. this one says it is a deep red.
oh i love roses. my favorites are dark red ones and pure white.

at my old house, there were red rose bushes that bloomed all
summer
long all the way into sept. they were over 60 years old.

sold the house to a couple that said they adored the roses, so i felt
as if i were leaving my roses to people that loved them as much as i had,
almost as much as the lady that planted them all those years ago.
her son stopped by the house one day, told me his mother had planted
the roses those 60 odd years ago when he was a boy.

well, long story/short(as they say, ha!)
the couple that bought my house ripped up the bushes and
threw them away. i still hurt about that.

my grandfather came from a farm in calabria. he would go underneath
the local bridge here and collect pigeon manure and mix it with
dirt and rain water and let it ferment. somehow, he knew when it was "ready"
he used it on his roses and other plants and flowers. he also knew how, and did, graft a red rosebush into the center of a white one.
i guess that's why i love both colors so, tho

not as much, oh no, as i loved him.

No comments: